Saturday 21 May 2011

Shock Horror Issue 4 (Horror Magazine)


I don't know what it is with Northampton post but this magazine always seems to get lost in it, my address sometimes seems like a black hole.  Anyway I finally got issue 4 of Shock Horror.

The text in this months issue is tiny!  Near had to get out a magnifying glass to read it, but I guess if it means there is more content then this is a good thing.  This months retrospective looks back at the films of Peter Cushing, as usual this section is well researched and interesting to read.  Dr Dale's guide on how to survive a zombie apocalypse is as hilarious as ever, a real highlight to the magazine.

The reviews are informative as always, plenty of zombie comics reviewed, as always my main complaint is the bad videogame reviews that are just too positive.  Again I fear my snobbery comes into this view as I never agree with what they write about the games (though the Dead Space 2 review is a good read).

This month there are a couple of good interviews, one with John Davies (the writer of Hobo with a Shotgun), while others include a review with the actress who stars in the remake of 'I Spit on your Grave', a interview with a very indie film maker and one with Dani Filth of Cradle of Filth fame.

The usual articles turn up again; the slightly boring Making the Monster and Screen Writers Surgery along with the always interesting Scarlet's Sanctuary column and the always far too brief comic strip.  Not as zombie-rific this time around but still a darn good read and probably the best UK based horror mag on the market.

No comments: