Saturday 22 December 2018

Fright Meter Awards 2018 - The Winners


Once again the annual Fright Meter Awards winners have been announced. I admit that this year I hadn't seen as many of the potential candidates as I would have liked to, my personal life went through some turbulent times for a few months that led to my blog taking a back seat. However when the final nominations were voted for and put forward I made an effort to watch each and every one I had not yet seen. That is except for the Suspiria that was gold dust in terms of locating and so I had to abstain from being able to count that in any of my personal final votes. So without further ado...

Best Horror Movie:



While I didn't vote for Hereditary to win I can't really complain too much as it was a great horror, even if it wasn't as scary as it had been made out to be. I had voted for The Ritual as out of the contenders that was the one that I really enjoyed the most. If it had been completely up to me Veronica would have not only been a contender, but also have been the winner.

Runner-up: A Quiet Place

Other Contenders:

Halloween
Mandy
The Ritual


Best Director:

Ari Asher (Hereditary)


I voted for Asher to win so not much to add on this one, it had some really good directing throughout.

Runner-up: John Krasinski (A Quiet Place)

Other Contenders:

Halloween (David Gordon Green)
Mandy (Panos Cosmatos)
Suspiria (Luca Guadagino)


Best Actor In A Leading Role:

David Howard Thornton (Terrifier)


Another one that I voted for. David Gordon Green made Terrifier, he was stunningly creepy throughout, a well deserved win in my humble opinion.

Runner-up: Nicholas Cage (Mandy)

Other Contenders:

John Krasinski (A Quiet Place)
Rafe Spall (The Ritual)
Dan Stevens (Apostle)


Best Actress In A Leading Role:

Toni Collette (Hereditary)


Yet another one that I voted for, however this was a painful category for me. Revenge was a fantastic film, Matilda Lutz was awesome in it, but Collette was just in another league to everyone else I have seen this year.

Runner-up: Jaime Lee Curtis (Halloween)

Other Contenders:

Emily Blunt (A Quiet Place)
Claire Foy (Unsane)
Matilda Lutz (Revenge)


Best Actor In A Supporting Role:

Alex Wolff (Hereditary)


While I didn't vote for Wolff I can see why he did win this one, he was great. My choice was Alex Lawther who was creepy as hell in the disappointing Ghost Stories. Ever since he traumatised me in Black Mirror I have followed his career closely. Least he was the runner-up.

Runner-up: Alex Lawther (Ghost Stories)

Other Contenders:

Linus Roache (Mandy)
Michael Sheen (Apostle)
Anton Yelchin (Thoroughbreds)


Best Actress In A Supporting Role:

Tilda Swinton (Suspiria)



Can't really comment much on this one seeing as how I never was able to watch this. My choice was Milly Shapiro who for me made Hereditary the oddity it was with her captivating and weird performance.

Runner-up:  Millicent Simmonds (A Quiet Place)

Other Contenders:

Ann Dowd (Hereditary)
Judy Greer (Halloween)
Milly Shapiro (Hereditary)


Best Screenplay:



Yet again Hereditary gets a win, I thought it was a good story, but not too different to many others with how it all goes along. For me I voted for Annihilation which I just found very interesting all the way through.

Runner-up: A Quiet Place

Other Contenders:

Annihilation (Alex Garland)
Halloween (Jeff Fradley, Danny McBride & David Gordon Green)
Suspiria (David Kajganich)


Best Makeup:



Again I cannot comment...I really did try to find a way to watch that one, honest! Least my choice was the runner-up.

Runner-up: Terrifier

Other Contenders:

Mandy
The Predator
Victor Crowley


Best Score:



What can I say? Halloween is my favourite horror franchise of all time and the music has always been really good. I was so happy a new film got made, that iconic tune, and the reworkings and additions just gave me so much joy.

Runner-up: Annihilation

Other Contenders:

Hereditary
Mandy
A Quiet Place


Best Editing:



While I did have my issues with this arty trippy movie it did have some good things going for it, the editing being just one of those, so I can happily say I voted for this to win this category.

Runner-up: A Quiet Place

Other Contenders:

Ghost Stories
Halloween
Hereditary


Best Cinematography:



Annihilation was my choice for this one, it had some really beautiful framed shots, again not having seen the runner-up I can't really complain too much.

Runner-up: Suspiria

Other Contenders:

Annihilation
Halloween
Mandy


Best Special Effects:



For me The Ritual was my choice, the monster itself was so cool looking let alone everything else here.

Runner-up: Terrifier

Other Contenders:

Mandy
A Quiet Place
The Ritual


Best Costume Design:



I chose Apostle for this one, truth be told this was the category I had least interest in as it seemed pretty even with the choices. Still least my choice came second.

Runner-up: Apostle

Other Contenders:

Mandy
The Nun
Winchester

Another year and another round of deserved winners. All being well next year I should be able to concentrate more on finding the years best in choices!

No comments: