Sunday 3 January 2010

Top 10 Horror Films of 2009

Finally, a bit late but my Top 10 films of 2009 is done. I have included some films released in previous years, but 2009 was the first year I had seen them...

10. Diary of the Dead

George Romero's Land of the Dead was terrible. I was not expecting much from this, but being a POV Blair Witch style film changed the staleness the series had gotten to, as did restarting the zombie apocalypse rather than carry on with the crapness of intelligent zombies started in Land. A fun and well done film.

9. The Last House on the Left

A grim remake of a supposedly grim original. I was actually a bit scared going into see this due to the legacy of the original. I knew it wasn't going to be a fun ride, but it was interesting. The entire cast - both the good guys and bad guys were attractive. Also is the first film I've seen where people in the Cinema have left in disgust half way through.

8. Paranormal Activity

Definitely the scariest film I have seen in the Cinema. Went with everything the Blair Witch did and changed up the setting from Woods to a suburban home. The transitions between the peaceful normalcy of daytime, and the nightmare of the twilight hours was fantastic.

7. Zombieland

Not as good as Shaun of the Dead, but still a really funny zombie film. Not really a horror hence it's position. Endearing characters, great humour, and a fantastic guest appearance who steals the show. Amazing.

6. Orphan

Killer twist! The usual evil kid film, but still managed to feel fresh despite that. Bad memories of seeing it as saw it with nasty people, but fond memories of the film itself.

5. Planet Terror

One half of the Tarantino/Rodirequiz double bill. Recently kinda saw Tarantino's Death Proof which was cool, but I think this is the better film. Zombies, Bruce Willis, and a girl with a machine gun for a leg - what more could you want!?

4. Drag me to Hell

Sam Raimi's return to Horror. A morality tale with a girl being rather harshly cursed by a old Gypsy. Really funny in places, and has a character called Clay so must be good.

3. Awaken the Dead

Another low budget zombie film. Innovative use of filters and lighting, great acting, and a general sense of persecution and paranoia combine to make a great experience!

2. Halloween 2 (Remake)

Fantastic, amazing, really grimy and mean. I was not expecting anything good from Rob Zombies remake, but I loved the whole messed up feel to the characters, especially the Laurie Strode character. As a result of seeing this I have ordered Halloween Remake (which I have not see yet)

1. Jennifer's Body

The trailer for this film is terrible, but the film is so good! I was blown away by just how funny and exciting this film was. Has a real 'cool' factor to it, and attractive female leads. My film of 2009!

No comments: