Tuesday 28 November 2023

Create a Zombie Science Set - Children's Toy Review


Probably well over a decade ago, my much missed mother got me a children's science set as part of my Christmas present. She often got me silly little things zombie related, and while they were not always to my taste, I still treasured them. Create a Zombie Science Set has been sat under my coffee table for countless years, and earlier this week I decided to get it out and give it a go for a review. When it comes to practical things I am very useless, so I figured this would turn out to be a disaster, but that it might also make for an entertaining review on my site.

The set comes with near enough everything needed to apparently complete the six different projects. My first issue came when I realised that the instructions refer to the items using completely different names to what are printed on the items. This led to constant confusion if I was using the correct stuff or not. A much bigger issue later arose when I came to the discovery that many of the items for use were past their expiry date, some I forced into working, others were completely dried up and useless. Of course that is a problem of my own creation! The post will be written over two days, as some of the steps require stuff being left over to dry.
First up was 'Mould a Zombie Head'. Thankfully, the green dough wasn't dried out, so I was able to fill the zombie head mould in adequately. I was confused when the instructions said to poke a hole in where the large eyes and mouth was using the back of the provided paintbrush. The paintbrush was not pointy on the back, I resorted to using a serrated knife instead, and soon had sliced open my finger. The instructions stated 'adult supervision required at all times!', maybe that should have applied to me also! Part of the process was using pink dough to fashion eyeballs, but this was something that had completely dried out, the shiny dough refused to be malleable. After a day, I found the dough was able to be taken out of the mould easily. However, due to the eyeballs not working, I wasn't able to put those in, so had to make do by sticking some maggots in one of the holes.
Next up was 'Mould a Zombie Eyeball', the instructions struck again, informing me that I would need two black beads which were not included...only they were included. Also, no idea why two beads were provided when only one was needed. Using a mould I poured in some crystals, with it kind of setting into the shape of an eyeball. Out of dateness again reared its ugly head when I found out the red 3D glue was mostly dried up, I had to cut the glue tub in half to be able to squeeze any out. Don't be too harsh on the photo of my created eye, that was the most successful 'experiment'.


Now I was onto the third experiment, 'Make Scars and Wounds'. I was told I would need a tissue and red food colouring to really make this pop, I had neither and used neither. Again, the dead pink dough was needed. After a day, I did my best, but with the pink dough not working it was hard to make this remotely look like an actual wound.
'Glowing Zombie Flesh' was similar to the zombie head in that I needed to put the working green dough into a mould, this one being for a full zombie rather than just a head. I had struggles getting it out of the mould and the results were not very satisfying!

Penultimate science experiment was 'Glowing Zombie Vomit', something that seemed so simple that an idiot could have made it. Well, I got a little enthusiastic with the water to cornflower ratio, rather than a custard like substance that would shock and amaze with its changing states between liquid and solid, I instead got a bowl of white water. That one was definitely on me!
Finally was 'Flesh Eating Maggots' which required me to dip the rubber maggots into the glow solution. The solution was liquid, but I'm not entirely sure it was any good as it didn't seem to do anything. The maggots were meant to be put straight away onto the zombie head, but that was something that still needed to set overnight, so I had to wait until the next day to complete this.


If I had been a child receiving this I would have probably loved it, especially if all the items needed were fresh and working. Stuff like the glowing green slime was completely dried up, stuff like the pink dough was barely usable, while at least, the green dough and glow solution appeared to be fine to use. As I got older I realised I am utterly useless when it comes to doing practical stuff with my hands, something that me managing to slit open my finger points to. Still, this did remind me of my mother, someone I miss every single day. While the kit wasn't for me, and it was out of date, it was slightly amusing to work with. Add on an extra head if you have access to a fresh version of Create a Zombie Science Set.

SCORE:








No comments: