Thursday 1 February 2024

Dead by Daylight: A Beginner's Guide to The Pig


For the past three months I have been trying to get into the asynchronous horror multiplayer game Dead by Daylight. Each month sees me choosing a new killer at random (previous times being The Trapper and The Clown), and then at the end of that time giving my very beginner thoughts on playing as them. For January my random pick was The Pig, which is the first licenced killer that has come up for me.

Coming from the Saw franchise, The Pig is actually Amanda Young. I'm always one who enjoys lore, and this killer had perhaps the most interesting lore I had read about so far. I haven't gotten around to seeing all the Saw films, but basically, Amanda is killed in the real world, but awakens to find herself in the entities realm wearing her pig mask get-up. What I found cool about this was that initially she began to panic, not expecting or wanting to be in this place. Due to her unshakeable faith in John Kramer, she comes to believe that he must have known she would end up in this place, and so decides to play the part of the killer, convinced that he had planned for her to become the tool of the entity.
She has a unique stage of 'Gideon Meat Plant' but this never actually came up for me, so no idea what it is like to play on.

The Pig has a 'hard' rating, but despite this I found her a lot easier to use than The Clown (due to him relying on accuracy, something I struggle with!). She has two main abilities, the first of which allows her to crouch walk, which removes her detection ability from survivors. When crouching you can charge up a stealth attack which when activated cause you to rush forward, blade out in front. Higher level use allows you to change the trajectory of this stealth attack to trick survivors, not that I managed that much.
Her second ability changes the flow of the game a bit, when a survivor is downed, you are able to fix a reverse bear trap onto them. This initiates a (somewhat generous) time limit, the end of which will see the survivor instantly die to the trap. Dotted around the map are special boxes, one of which will contain the key to remove the contraption. Even if the exit gate is open, survivors with an activated trap must still find the key as trying to leave will instantly kill them.
Of her three unique perks, the only one I really understood was 'Make Your Choice', which kind of mixes in elements of Saw in that unhooking a survivor places a de-buff on the rescuer. 

I don't know if I was just lucky, but out of just the seven or eight matches I managed to fit in (no idea where all my time goes!), I was able to kill all survivors twice, sometimes by hooking them, and sometimes by the head trap killing them before it could be removed. You only have access to four reverse bear traps (without perks that increase this), but I'm not exactly great at downing people so there was never a time I ran out of them. The stealth attack I managed to use a few times, but I missed more than hit using this, something that will take more practice. Additional perks allow you to change the effect of the bear trap, as well as cause the Jigsaw boxes to hold little traps of their own.
Being a licenced character there were sadly fewer alternate skins to buy. I brought one that had The Pig wearing a black leather coat, and replaced her hidden blade with an electronic corkscrew type weapon. The next killer I shall spend a month with is The Mastermind, better known as Albert Wesker from Resident Evil, excited for that one!

No comments: