Thursday 20 April 2023

Retrospective (2023) by Southern Tribe - Music Album Review


Southern Tribe is the moniker of Andrew Newth, an instrumental solo project of his which began in the mid 90's. In 2020, Newth has returned to the music of Southern Tribe, with a new album due out later this year. First though is 'Retrospective', which as the title hints at, is a collection of his older work, in this case both released and unreleased music from his 1990's period. As always, I know little of music, but I shall try me best.

This forty four minute, eight track album is in a genre that I would say fits into the casual listening category. The chilled and repetitive tracks are the perfect background music, with me listening to the album twice, once as I read some Judge Dredd comic books, and then again, as I was tidying my house. It opens with 'Closer (2023 Mix)', a nearly six minute easy listening track that went for a light and airy intro to the album. Slowly louder and heavier drums are brought to the album over the next track 'Horror Story' and 'Horror Story 2'. Midway through 'Retrospective' comes 'The Trip' which had an Asian vibe to its dance sound. A few tracks I couldn't really describe too well, this includes 'Ska Tribe (2023 Mix)' which I noted sounded like it would be out of place in a Streets of Rage game, and final track 'Gothic (2023 Mix)', that had the sound of a Perfect Dark multiplayer map.
Only ones left to mention are 'You Can't Have It' that was a little bit ravey, and the excellent penultimate track 'You're Not Here', whose trip hop sound brought to mind the more safer areas in the Silent Hill video games.

The press release states this is 'Haunting, cinematic, moody, vibes make this a little spooky in the dark. But it's worth the risk.' I wouldn't really agree with that, this isn't particularly horror focussed, and isn't that good a fit for a review. Still, I do like trip hop, and aside from the opening track being a little too long, I enjoyed my time with 'Retrospective'.

SCORE:

No comments: