Tuesday 18 April 2023

The Rotting Zombie's News Anthology for Tuesday 18th April 2023


I've had a rare week this week when I could pretty much choose my own stuff to review. I can't say I chose the best films but never mind. Here today are three news stories plucked from my inbox. First a side trip into the world of cyberpunk.

I typically skip over the emails regarding cyberpunk sounding music. I love the genre but never feel its that good a fit on my horror blog. I was preparing to skip past an email about Nouveau Arcade, that was until I saw they have released a cyberpunk infused cover of Garbage's almighty track 'Only Happy When It Rains', which happens to be one of my favourite songs of all time. In terms of sound this is pure electronic synth based music, it takes the lyrics of the Garbage song but wraps them around an entirely different sound, creating a more epic sounding song. I do prefer the original though. Nouveau Arcade said of the cover 'We felt the desire to re interpret the lyrics to have a sound of vulnerability and feeling loneliness and isolation that we were experiencing as a society during the height of the pandemic'.


Wasteland is a post-apocalyptic thriller that takes place in a world ruined by a deadly virus. Scott Miller is a survivor who holds on to hope that one day his beloved Beth will return. This comes from Acort International and Midnight Releasing, the cover image reminds me a lot of I Am Legend. I actually reviewed this back in 2013, giving it a respectable seven out of ten I said of it "I...really enjoyed Wasteland thanks to some decent locations used, a solid story and great acting."


Finally for today, am light on details, but was contacted by Michelle Romano, the producer, and one of the lead actresses on Devanny Pinn's directorial debut of her true crime thriller Black Mass. The film will have its official screening at the Marche du Film in Cannes on May 21st. Included among its cast are Jeremy London, Lew Temple, Sarah Nicklin, Devanny Pinn, Eileen Deitz, Kathleen Kinmont, Jennifer Wenger, Lisa Wilcox and Susan Lanier.

No comments: