Thursday 13 July 2023

The Rotting Zombie Interviews Victoria U Bell


Victoria U Bell has recently directed her first feature length movie, Heir of the Witch, a movie that she wrote, directed, produced and starred in and which is the first full feature film from production company Pasha Entertainment. The film tells of a Moldovan woman living in America who finds herself haunted by her family's dark past, specifically her grandmother, who had been an evil witch. The story was taken from Bell's own personal experiences, and bizarrely more of this fantastical story is said to have actually happened than you might expect. I was able to get an interview with the director, to speak with her about this passion project of hers.

Hello Victoria and welcome to The Rotting Zombie. With elements of Heir of the Witch based partly on real life experiences, has creating the film helped you face the fears you had while growing up?

Bringing HOTW to life was a true "Come to Jesus moment". The whole process has helped me see things from a different perspective. A healing process of facing the monster and fear in my heart, soul and mind. Through this journey I have become stronger. I have recognized my power and I no longer suffer from the terror I had felt all my life. Creative art can be a true healing and cleansing process, but you have to be honest. You have to bare your soul and expose it. I no longer find the act of witchcraft terrifying. I know my truth. I found my light, and with that, I can conquer anything.

With this being your first feature length film as a director, how did it compare to the short films you have previously made, and were there any unexpected challenges you had to face?

Making a short film was a walk in the park compared to a feature film. Compounded by being made during Covid - it felt like an Ironman Triathlon. I learned more while making this movie than anything I learned in film school. It's an experience that is unparalleled with anything else I've ever encountered. Through it, I found my true love and passion in life - film. It was a lot of hard work, and there were constant challenges that would arise throughout the whole project, but we did it! I am very grateful for my team and everyone who helped bring this movie to life!

Aside from the real-life elements, what were the other inspirations for this movie? Were there any other films that influenced the direction and style you went for?

Everything is inspiration to me. From the fragrant flowers I smell on the sidewalk to the decaying body of a dead animal on the highway. From the great books I devour, to the multitude of movies that I have watched. My brain is a sponge; always hungry and curious for more information. I can't pinpoint one that that inspired me most, but when I was a child, I heard a story that a man in our village kept having dreams about his wife who had passed away. She kept telling him in his dreams that she's alive and trapped in her grave and that he had to save her. His request to have her exhumed was denied by the church. I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if he had dug her up himself that night. In my audacious mind, I imagined that when he opened the casket, the woman had turned in her grave and her fingernails were embedded in the walls of the casket while trying to escape. That story stayed with me and translates in the film. So, you can say I've been a storyteller from an early age.

The protagonist, Anna, stands out due to the world of shallow and conceited people she finds herself in, while not without her flaws, there was a genuine feeling to her. Were you always planning to play the part of the protagonist, and did you put any of your real self into the character, or is she a completely invented creation?

If you believe Anna's agony, then it was real. I did not put myself into the character, but I did embody Anna completely. A few months prior to filming the movie I stripped myself of all jewelry, makeup, and any items that reminded me of me.
I cut my nails short, I wore the modest dresses that Anna wears, and I started to learn how to sow. I tried to leave everything of mine behind and I let Anna speak to me. She was gentle, kind, turbulent and lost. I did not judge her. I let her tell me her story and I embedded myself in her character. There's no way I could reveal her suffering authentically without walking in her shoes. Somehow, her shoes felt somewhat familiar. Growing up in Moldova, my feet were dirty from running in the fields with no shoes, but my heart was filled with big dreams. In each project I have the pure intention of serving the story. I'm always looking for who I feel is the best actor for each role. Anna - was the hardest role to fill and I knew I was the only one who could best serve her and bring her to the world.

The moments of visual horror in the movie were very effective. At times, featuring some scenes that surprised with just how bloody they were. What were your favourite special effects used during the making of these scenes?

We had a great make-up team and they worked wonders with every aspect of my intricate requests. One of my favourites is the decapitated body of one of the witch's victims. It looks and feels eerie and real. It took a lot of work from my team to create the same body type, size and skin tone - but the results were fabulous. In reference to special effects, the shower scene with the demon mist, and the spider shadow under the bed are 2 of my favorites.

Finally, for people who have yet to see Heir of the Witch, why should they check it out?

Heir of the Witch is unlike any other horror film you have ever seen before. The story and the theme are unique and different. The twists and turns keep you involved and glued to the screen. I've planted a lot of breadcrumbs, follow them closely! Enjoy!

Heir of the Witch is due to be streaming everywhere from August 4th 2023, a thank you to Victoria U Bell for her time answering my questions.

No comments: