Tuesday 5 March 2024

Post-Climax (2024) by Assassun - Music Album Review


Post-Climax
is the third album released under Berlin based musician Alexander Leonard Donat's Assassun moniker, following on from last years Chronic Quicksand Depression Morning. This brings together twelve delightful tracks of electro-goth gloom. I have a habit of saying this whenever I review a follow up album of an artist, but I really think this is the best album yet from Assassun.

'You Can't' kicks off the album and brings with it a slightly different sound to what I was used to. While the vocals are as mean and frustrated as ever there was a simple repeating electronic beat that gave an almost contrasting feel to the tone of the lyrics. Track two, 'Footnote' is when the Assassun I remember comes into sound, the familiar and welcome eighties style music, with the artists repeating refrains such as "I can't find the antidote" giving this an almost stream of consciousness feel to it. 'Sling Me Out' has Assassun sounding his most fed up and bitter. That track was an early highlight with a fantastic and addictive backing beat conjuring up memories of Megadrive video game music (not a slight, that's my favourite console). So much of the music on this album just sounds sublime, there is a sense of urgency that comes from many of the songs (most nightmarish, the freefall feeling 'If'), such as 'Hell Here' and the best track on the album, 'Cpr' that has great machinegun style beats to it "With my lips melting like wax, Both sides turning into trainwrecks" this had some inventive lyrics to it.

Heading towards the last third of the album things slow down slightly with 'Spectator', 'Sink Your Sword Into Me', 'Swallow My Sky', and epic sounding penultimate track 'Used to Glow'. Final track 'Skull-Line' is a return to the frantic fast sound, closing out Post-Climax in a fitting manner. Throughout I loved the dirty sounding off-kilter electronic sound, it really sounded so good.
It's a bit of a running joke that I usually listen to albums while doing some type of housework, with this I listened to it twice before doing my review, once while on my lunch break at my day job, and a second time while having a shave and a shower first thing this morning (at time of typing), both times the music was a delight. 
It is always apparent that I know next to nothing about music, but I do like what I like, and Assassun's Post-Climax is one such album that fits that bill.

SCORE:

No comments: