Sunday 8 January 2023

In The Shadows (2022) - Short Horror Film Review


I'm still recovering from New Years Eve, though I think some lingering effects of having had Covid recently are still present. Anyway, I needed a short horror to round out my week, and so I picked Jerrod Moore's In The Shadows at random from YouTube. Would it do enough to set itself apart from others of its kind though?

A man is sorting through a box of books at his house and comes across one he doesn't recognise. It's a black book with no title, and the pages are full of grotesque images of a monstrous being. That night the man is awoken, he comes to believe there is something in the room with him, could it be that same self monster from the mysterious book he found?

Short horror films often follow a similar format and sadly In The Shadows doesn't do too much to stand apart from all the others. On the positive side, I did like the design of the monster, and it looked suitably creepy on screen. I liked the initial idea of the monster being freed from within the pages of the book too. The whole second half of this did drag, with the creature barely appearing, instead the focus is all on the scared man. It was obvious where this was going to end, and it did, albeit in a vaguely different way to what I assumed.

The film was well made, the actor was absolutely fine as well, my biggest complaint was how this didn't leave an impression, simple ideas can be executed in a fresh way, but this just felt like all the others of its kind, even if the directing was to a higher level than a lot of them are. In The Shadows can be viewed on YouTube, at under five minutes you may as well give it a watch.

SCORE:



No comments: