Thursday 23 May 2024

The Rotting Zombie's News Anthology for Thursday 23rd May 2024


I'm currently in the middle of a vacation from my day job. As it was my best friend's birthday this past Sunday I decided I would use my holiday time to spend time with her, rather than my usual habit of working on my blog, deep cleaning my house, or playing lots and lots of video games. On the video game front I am currently playing Diablo IV, Dead Island 2, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, and Cyberpunk 2077, so hopefully I may end up finishing one of those. I really want to play Senua's Saga: Hellblade II as I was a big fan of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, but don't want too many games being played at the same time as I am a demon for abandoning games halfway through and never returning!

I don't often mention the JustWatch UK Streaming Charts, mainly because there isn't often a lot of appropriate content on these things. Having a quick look today I think it is worth mentioning them this week. Currently at No.1 in the Top 10 films streaming in the UK is Mad Max: Fury Road, obviously as the spin-off Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is due out this Friday. Looking forward to seeing that with my dad, someone who has been into the series ever since he went to Australia and visited Broken Hill, where Mad Max 2 was shot. At No.3 is Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the third film in the newish series of entries in the classic post-apocalyptic series in which apes have evolved and taken over the planet. My mother loved those first two films, I'm sure she would have enjoyed watching this one also if she were still with the living. No.4 is Late Night with the Devil, a film that really has me considering if I should start up my Shudder subscription again. This plays out in a found footage style, with a TV host looking to increase ratings for his show by attempting to communicate with the devil live on camera.
Over on the Top 10 shows streaming in the UK, No.1 is Dark Matter. I haven't heard of this but apparently it is about a man who is abducted into an alternate timeline of his life. No.2 is Fallout, I'm six episodes into this one and it is as great as the hype would have you believe!

Spoiling You is a new horror film written and directed by Megan Tremethick, coming from Hex Studios. Described as an ASMR horror, this psychological terror is about a lonely girl who gets a following on YouTube with her 'Miss Mutter' persona. As her popularity grows, the woman under the persona remains a mystery, something that might lead to a bad time for her number one fan who gets invited to spend the night with the woman for a unique one-on-one session. Inspired by J-Horror and horror anime such as Pulse, Wicked City, Perfect Blue (love that one), and Takashi Miike's legendary Audition, Tremethick says of her film "I want to build so much dread, that you'll almost will yourself to pull away from the screen. I want to create a darkness, that will draw you in...like a siren to the rocks..." There will be a Kickstarter campaign for Spoiling You in the future, currently not live, but the pre-launch page can be found here.

Finally for today, a new trailer and poster have been released for upcoming prequel movie A Quiet Place: Day One. The film comes to cinemas on June 28th, with the screenplay coming from Michael Sarnoski, who also directs. This has been a good series so far, so seeing the madness of the initial invasion as it occurs in New York should be something grand to witness.


No comments: